Underfloor heating will heat everything from the floor up keeping your toes nice and cosy in the cold months.
There are various types of underfloor heating systems available. The best underfloor heating solution depends on a range of factors including your project type, your current heating system and energy source.
Underfloor heating essentially works by turning the floor area into a giant, efficient and invisible heat emitter. Heating pipes are installed beneath the floor, which heat up, to warm the room from the ground up.
Because underfloor heating covers such a large surface area, it is able to use much lower water temperatures than radiators. This helps to improve efficiency – especially with a heat pump – and also better heats a room as there are no cold spots.
Benefits of Underfloor Heating:
- Flexibility – Underfloor heating is extremely flexible. It can be installed in any property type. From new builds to renovations and extensions, there is a solution to suit! You can install UFH in one room or multiple rooms, and you can even have underfloor heating upstairs.
- Warm, heated floors – One of the main benefits of underfloor heating systems is how they feel. Heat gently emits upwards from the floor, making cold floors feel warm underfoot. UFH systems produce an even warmth, eliminating cold spots and draughts common with radiators.
- 25% more efficient – Warm water underfloor heating uses far lower flow temperatures than a radiator system. By covering a larger surface area it is still able to heat the room effectively, using less energy in the process. For this reason, underfloor heating efficiency is around 25% more than radiators and up to 40% more efficient when paired with a heat pump!
- Space saving & discreet – Underfloor heating systems are ‘invisible’ as the tube is hidden beneath the floor. This eliminates the need for radiators, freeing up valuable wall space. UFH is ideal for open plan living, smaller homes, and rooms such as kitchens and bathrooms where space is at a premium.
- Safe & healthy – Underfloor heating has no exposed hot or sharp edges. This makes it a safe option for young children and the elderly. UFH is also great for allergy sufferers as it provides warmth free from draughts and dust movements that can aggravate certain conditions.
- Kind to the environment – As a low temperature heating system, underfloor heating uses less energy than traditional high temperature systems like radiators. This can help you to reduce your carbon footprint – even more so when installed alongside a heat pump.