Our Guide to Landlord Gas Safety Certificates

If you are a landlord of any residential premises, including but not limited to: bed and breakfasts, pubs/restaurants, hotels/cottages and caravan sites, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants. Below we’ve written a guide for all landlords to better outline what you are and what you are not responsible for.

Annual gas safety checks

Did you know as a landlord you have a duty of care towards your tenants. The HSE state

“Landlords have a duty of care to their tenants. This is a legal duty to repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in a safe condition, to ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue, and to keep a record of each safety check.”

This means a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate is required for all rental accommodations in the UK if there are gas appliances within the property; this can include but is not limited to gas hobs, gas fires and gas boilers.

Appliances owned by your tenants aren’t your responsibility – although it’s still up to you to ensure the safety of any connecting flues, unless they’re solely connected to the tenants’ appliance.

What’s included in your Gas safety check?

  • All gas appliances will be checked
  • Ventilation checked
  • All safety devices checked
  • Gas pressure check
  • Flue test

Gas Safety Record

Following the annual gas safety check and receipt of your Landlord Gas Safety Record, you’ll need to provide a record of this check to your tenants. By law, a copy of your Landlord Gas Safety Record should be given to your current tenants within 28 days of the gas safety check – and for new tenants, you’ll need to provide this at the start of their tenancy.

For rental periods of less than 28 days, just make sure you’ve clearly displayed a copy of your record within the property. You’ll need to keep copies of this gas safety check record until a further two checks have been carried out

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

In 2013, the UK Department of Health found that over 4,000 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, a scary statistic. That’s why since 2015, UK law has legally enforced smoke alarms to be fitted on every floor where there is living accommodation. In addition, carbon monoxide alarms are to be fitted wherever a solid fuel is burnt, i.e. coal, wood, peat etc. It is good practice for all landlords to make sure that all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are a) fitted and b) functioning as they should be. But don’t worry it is also part of our service to check they are working as they should be.


You’ll need to make sure that all gas pipework, appliances, chimneys and flues are kept in safe condition. Check the gas appliances’ manufacturer guidelines to find out how often a service is recommended. If you haven’t got access to these, we’d recommend an annual service – unless your Gas Safe registered engineer suggests otherwise.

Installation pipework isn’t covered by the annual gas safety check, but both we and the HSE recommend that when you request a safety check, you ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to:

  • Test for tightness on the whole gas system, including installation pipework
  • Visually examine the pipework (so far as is reasonably practicable)

There are no formal requirements for you to keep maintenance records, but you’ll need to be able to show that you have regularly maintained the pipework, appliances and flues and completed required repairs.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

More Posts You May Find Interesting